Thursday, February 25, 2010

Let's try to share this sandbox, ok?

Sometimes I wonder if I joined a university community or a kindergarten. Seriously, folks, why do people care about maintaining their petty fiefdoms? Ok, I'm 40 now and it's true, I've mellowed A LOT -- but I can still get riled about stuff as much as the next person -- just the stuff I now chose to get riled over isn't whether someone is taking work from me -- if you want to take parts of my job feel free I've got a full in-box sitting right here with something else to occupy my time.

Small people who tie up our minds, time and hearts with their tantrums just eat away at my soul. I feel exhausted -- like need medication exhausted. I work hard. Damn hard. I'm not trying to take credit for something you've done, or step on your toes, or take over the universe. I'm just trying to accomplish my to-do list and not get fired. Really those are my goals. Why are your goals to supervent me and gun for me trying to make me look bad?

Please don't use the word 'need' in emails to me as in: "You need to do such and such". Yeah, no I don't. And I learned way back in my first job when I was a mere 24 years old at Easter Seals that you never say that to another adult. (I got my head handed to me on a collections call when I told a woman she needed to make her payment -- word choice can get you the world or slam the door shut).

I'm trying to play nice. Let's face it for an only child who has been told her whole life that she's selfish (and the ex added the b word to that adjective regularly) this has been a journey -- one that I'm still on -- but I try to share, be inclusive, and take a deep breath before I speak. How about you try the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment